Speaking out on Injustice


Write about a time when you felt like you had to speak out against an injustice or did speak out against an injustice.

There have been so many things that I have wanted to speak out on but never did. There have been countless times when I have been sitting in front of my television yelling at the screen, crossing my fingers, wishing that the people on the other end could hear me and would listen.

For instance: The Great Canadian Seal Hunt.
How can such acts be legal? No, not the fact that they kill the seals because it’s natural humanly and beastly behaviour, but in the nature of the way they slaughter these animals. To me it completely defies the rules of animal rights. I’m all for the fashion and food you receive but in no way do I find it right.

In my opinion the proper way to obtain the seal skin/produce would be to wait until the animal dies from natural causes and/or a non human inflicted injury/illness. Instead, the hunters who come out to the Seal Hunt wait until every last bit of fur has fallen off the cubs, otherwise its illegal. Then they proceed to scout out perfect seals and club them to death.

It only takes about two or three beats to the head to kill the seals but the damages they receive are horrendous. Gashes and deep wounds are left on the seals bodies and skulls. Pools of blood cover the ice of the arctic and rotting carcases-skinned-lay, sprawled out in un-natural positions.

Sure, this may make the availability of seal product decrease, but for me and a lot of other animal right activists as well as any person in general, it leaves our thoughts at ease, and saves the lives of many innocent seals. I’m positive there are multiple alternatives to real seal skin coats and anything else the seal skin is used for.

1 comment: